General education refers to the organized educational programs which aim promotion, preservation and transmission of national values, ideologies and culture.
General education is a combination of those formal opportunities which bring about behavioral changes in the individual. Here is a comprehensive account of the general functions of general education :-
- It preserved the culture and civilization of a Society.
- It promotes literacy in the society.
- It enables the individual to conform to the social demands.
- It transmits the cultural heritage and academic: excellence's to the next generations.
- It makes the life ideology and social values as the part of individual’s behavior.
- It develops all aspects of national life.
- It serves as a source of fulfilling the individual and collective objectives.
- It enables the individuals to participate in the national development.
- It expands the information of the individuals and thereby raises the academic standards.
- It produces social stability following the harmony between individual and a society.
- It paves the way to social peace and integrity by developing the insight of the individuals.