The concept of guidance is as old as the man himself. This concept has gained a global status in the present time. Every individual needs guidance in various fields of life. To me, guidance has become an independent field of study. Here are some established views of the learned which will help us in understanding the true
spirit of guidance.
- Guidance is a process of helping every individual, through his own efforts, to discover and develop his potentialities for his personal happiness and social usefulness.
- Guidance refers to the helping the students to make more favorable adjustment.
- Guidance is, in fact, an individualized education which aims at helping the students to develop themselves to the maximum possible degree in all respects.
- Guidance is a process and technique through which a person is able to receive help needed in solving his personal and other problems.
- Guidance is a process through which an individual is able to solve his problems and pursue a path suited to his abilities and aspirations.
- Guidance refers to assisting the individual to choose prepare for, enter upon, and progress in courses of action pertaining to the educational, vocational, recreational and community service groups of human activities.
- Guidance is an understanding a person and making him understand himself, so that he may bring about in himself and in his environment such changes through which his proper development becomes possible.
- Guidance helps an individual to develop his personality fully and enables him to serve the society to the best of his capabilities and talents.
- Guidance is a process through which an individual or groups of individuals are helped to make necessary adjustments to the environment inside or outside the school.
- Guidance seeks to help the individual discover his own talents in comparison to the opportunities of the world and help him prepare himself so that he can find or develop his place in which he can live a well-balanced life and Contribute his part to the welfare of his fellow men.
- Guidance involves personal help given by someone; it is designed to assist, a person in deciding where he wants to go, what he wants to do and how he can best accomplish his purposes.
- Guidance is a continuous process for a favorable directional influence upon appropriate social behavior, personal effectiveness in every day affairs, academic competence and assimilation of right values and attitudes.
- Guidance is an assistance made available personally qualified and adequately trained men or women to an individual of any age to help him manage his own life activities, develop his own point of views; make his own decisions and carry his own burdens.
- Guidance is a process of dynamic interpersonal relationships designed to influence the attitudes and subsequent behavior of a person.
- Guidance is an educational service designed to help students make more effective use of the school’s training programs.