Counseling is an integral part of the school program in general. If the education system has the desire to achieve its comprehensive goals, it will have to establish a high definition counseling set-up in the educational institutions. The fundamental aim of the process of counseling is to enable the students solve the problems of life by themselves. The counselor employs various methods of counseling for the solution of various problems of the students. These approaches and methodologies are primarily concerned with the nature of the problems.
Following are the salient kinds of counseling as per methodology :-
Individual Counseling :-The individual counseling is concerned with the solution of educational, psychological, and social problems of the individual. A direct chain of dialogue between the counselor and counselee is established for the solution of a particular uneasiness and complexity of a counselor in this approach of counseling. Primarily, this Counseling is an individualized one. It deals all the affairs of an individual personally and confidentially. This is a process of self-finding which aims at making the individual aware of himself/herself. It enables the individual to adopt such a course of action which leads him/her to a prosperous and balanced life. This approach of counseling opens new ways of progression and strength which ultimately pave the way to national prosperity and integrity.
- Individual counseling refers to a problem-solving process in which a counselor provides help after studying the personality of the individual by means of individualistic contact.
- Individual counseling facilitates the exploration and resolution of personal problems and issues according to the needs of the individual.
- Individual counseling refers to the series of formal meetings between the counselor and a counselee which aims at solution of problems and behavior modification.
- The counselor individually visits the counselee by himself.
- One individual is counseled at a time in this method of counseling.
- This counseling methodology is based on face to face and one to one contact.
- This method of counseling can be conducted both formally and informally.
- A counselor can select a particular method according to the nature of the problem.
- The counselor employs various techniques like tests, questionnaires, observations and interviews for the collection of date about the counselee.
- This method of counseling is highly organized and purposeful and a clear strategy is adopted for the execution of individual counseling.
Group counseling :-
For the solution of some problems of life, the method of group counseling seems to be appropriate. This method of counseling can find out the solution of many social problems. Through this counseling approach, an individual can be realized that he/she is not the only one who is confronted with this sort of problem but there are many others who are facing this problem too. In this commonly faced situation, all the individuals of the group equally attempt to solve the problems. These collective efforts become more effective. That is why; the experts give priority group counseling over individual counseling.
- Group counseling is concerned with the solution of problems and modification in behavior of a group of individuals by a counselor.
- Group counseling refers to such a methodology of counseling in which the counselor provides his/her services to a group of individuals with the view to solution of the problem.
- Group counseling is characterized by the help for the solutions of mental health and adjustment problems by a counselor or a group of counselors to the group of individuals.
- Group counseling is concerned with the provision of counseling services by a counselor or a group of counselor to a group of individuals simultaneously.
- One or more than one counselors provide counseling services to a group of individuals simultaneously.
- This methodology is concerned with the group of individuals.
- All the individuals of a group make collective efforts to solve the problems.
- Group counseling is based on the fact that the mechanized life has become the man of toady alone. He feels alone even in the community centre.
- Group counseling is a process of socialization which aims at teaching the socially desirable attitudes and behaviors to the individuals.
- Through this counseling, an individual learns his/her social role which leads to stability and firmness in the group life.
- Group counseling is an integral part of the total program of an institution. This plays a significant role in the acquisition of the institutional objectives.
- The aim of this counseling is to make the individuals aware of the new environment and situations so that they may cope with the new group situations.
- All the students require group counseling. It is generally concerned with those problems which the students come across occasionally, during their academic sessions.
- Group counseling is an evolutionary process. This process is developed with the problems and complexities of the individuals and thereby shapes the personality of the individuals into a particular mould.